Automated Adverse Media Screening
Leveraging AI to find risks sanctions screening
What you are going to learn
A few more words about this course
Do you remember those days of "how many Google pages do we need to print out" to evidence our KYC Adverse News Screening?
Adverse media screening involves searching for negative news about a person or business. It is a critical part of the KYC and Anti-Money Laundering (AML)/CTF process of client on boarding, uncovering the vast majority of high-risk individuals and entities.
Adverse News Screening is a key pillar of financial crime compliance and has evolved significantly in the past few years from a manual ad-hoc process to an automated vendor solution now available for incorporation into our ongoing KYC processes.
There are three common challenges however to effective adverse media screening:
- unsustainable volumes of matches,
- the credibility of news sources and
- dealing with false alerts.
With a focus on these issues and the ongoing saga of false positives, this webinar we will be looking at:
- How has screening evolved from Google searches?
- What are the new technologies?
- What are the continued challenges?
- Are we optimizing adverse media screening schedules by using risk-based approaches?
- How are we appropriately using algorithms to assign risk and likelihood scores to each alert? Do we understand how to do this?
- With a regulatory focus on innovation, is using AI for adverse media screening the next expectation?
Oonagh van den Berg
Founder & CEO of RAW Compliance and Virtual Risk Solutions
Senior Director of Merlon
Managing Director Asia-Pacific of AML Analytics Limited
Compliance Director of HSBC Hong Kong